Pinterest Review: Quinoa Chicken Chili

Thursday, January 16, 2014

It has been a really long time since I have done a pinterest review! I am super excited about today's pinterest recipe because it has been something that has been a staple now in our little family for months. Click HERE for the link to the original recipe or HERE to see it on my pinterest board so you can repin.

I walked into the kitchen at 11:35 AM, put everything into the crock-pot, made my lunch, and was in the car by 11:45 headed to work. That's what I call convenient. 

So I can't use the can opener that we have to save my life so Darin always has to open cans for me but I knew he would be at work when I threw everything in the crock pot. So the night before, I had him open all the cans for me and I stuck it in tupperware in the fridge. I made sure to rinse the black beans and the corn and drain before I put that away for the night. 




Then I threw everything in the crock pot the next day, added some quinoa, two chicken breasts, chicken stock, and some spices and then BAM, turn the crock pot on low and let it do ALL THE WORK.



Ingredients:

  • 2 cans of black beans - $1.36
  • 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes- $1.24
  • 1 can of corn- $0.68
  • 3 cups chicken stock- $2.68
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies - $0.98 (original recipe calls for 14 oz can, I buy 10 oz)
  • 2 chicken breasts- $4.79
  • 1 cup quinoa- I already had quinoa and I think I spend about $8.00 when I originally bought it but it keeps very well when kept in the fridge so I haven't had to buy in a while
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

What I did differently: 

  • After adding the chicken stock in the morning, I set aside leftover in the fridge. It thickens up a lot during the day so I add the rest of the chicken stock after I turn the crock pot off and stir with a spoon to let the chicken just fall to shreds.
  • I DON'T add crushed red pepper because I hate spicy foods.



I already had all of the spices as well. I spent a total of $11.73 this past week buying stuff for this pinterest recipe. It makes approximately 8 servings. So each serving was about $1.47. Now if you had to buy the quinoa too that would add about an additional dollar per serving but it would last you through the next several times of making it! 


This picture doesn't do it much justice considering I took it in a tupperware tub but that is okay. You will just have to trust me on this one. 


Easiness: 10 honestly so easy
Taste: 7 unless you add avocado on top then it's a 9 for sure
Time: 10
Nutritional Status: 8 obviously the canned goods probably added unnecessary sodium but sometimes you make sacrifices for convenience



No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |