Not So Tuna Fishy Sandwiches

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tuna was one of the only seafoods that I would eat growing up. I remember Sunday afternoons coming home after church starving my mom would make tuna fish sandwiches for us to eat to hold us over until dinner time. If it weren't for the mercury content in canned tuna, I could probably eat it a lot more often than I actually do! For those of you that are concerned about mercury in the tuna, purchase the tuna labeled "canned light tuna" rather than the Albacore white tuna. It has a lower mercury content.

The American Heart Association recommends that we eat fatty fish twice a week. I am going to be honest and say that that is really hard for me. Mainly because I forget about how important it is but also because I live in Utah and seafood in Utah just sounds gross because there is definitely not a sea nearby haha. According to Harvard studies, if we do this, our chances of morbidity due to heart disease will decrease by more than a third.




 This recipe is one that I modified from Daphne Oz' recipe.I modified it to make it simpler and therefore a little bit cheaper. I titled the post "not so tuna fishy" because it doesn't have that fishy taste and that's why I love it so much.


Ingredients:

  • 3 cans of canned light tuna
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 4 stalks of celery
  • 1/2 of a bunch of green onions/scallions
  • 1/3 cup of olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
Chop up the veggies and mix with the canned tuna after draining it. Add olive oil & vinegar and stir. Serve on  whole wheat bread or add to a leafy green salad. 

So good, so cheap, and so simple. 






No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |