A Little Taste of Home & Gluten Free Life

Monday, May 20, 2013

Blogging has become more of a weekly activity rather than a daily thing simply because of the lack of time available for writing and coming up with things to write about. This weekend was really chill for us and again really busy.

Friday night I got off work and then we made some scrumptious grilled cheese sandwich using this garlic butter that I bought at Costco. After that we watched The Impossible which is a movie about the 2004 Tsunami in Thailand. It was an incredible movie! I thought it was going to be a lot more depressing but it happened to have a very happy ending so I would recommend it. You can watch the trailer here.



On Saturday I had work until noon. Afterwards I picked up Darin from his softball game and we headed over to our friends house for a lunch get together and played Settlers of Catan. We went home after to pack up our stuff to spend the night at another friends house in West Jordan (about an hour away from our house). Together with them we drove up to a friend's wedding reception about an hour north of their house.

Now my favorite part of my weekend was experiencing a little bit of home in Utah. Before my best friend Brooke left on her mission she told me about this BBQ restaurant in Huntsville, Utah (middle of nowhere) that had Texas style BBQ and the owner was actually a native Texan. Well I suggested that we try it out since we were already in that neck of the woods for the reception.







Okay now to the nitty gritty. While I was at the grocery store today, I decided that I was going to start eating gluten free for the next month. I have been having some strange symptoms lately some of which include terrible stomach aches and I want to see if an elimination of gluten will help this problem.

So I thought this was going to be really easy, spend a few extra bucks to buy gluten free pasta and gluten free bread. Little did I know there are so many foods with gluten one of them including my breakfast cereal.

I went to talk with some neighbors who know a lot about a gluten free life because one of them has Celiac's. They informed me that I would need to purchase new peanut butter, jelly, butter, and pretty much anything else that has been double dipped into because of cross contamination. Also, I can't use my toaster to toast my bread in the morning. So, I am sticking to pretty much eating only fruits and vegetables tomorrow until I can purchase new spreads. Basically, this is going to be a lot more stressful than I was hoping it would be but hopefully it will be worth it.

This is to living a gluten free life!


2 comments :

  1. Hey Stef, I love catching up on your posts!

    Unless you're actually highly allergic to gluten (like your neighbor that has Celiac's) you probably don't need to get rid of all your spreads and not use your toaster. That's a lot of work and inconvenience (and stress)! haha You probably don't need to make it so hard on yourself:) I think for someone who just wants to cut out gluten for health reasons you could just replace things like cereal, bread, pasta, baked goods, etc with gluten-free options and still see the same results!

    Cary and I have been trying to eat gluten-free as well! Many people in my family have a gluten intolerance and since we've cut it out, I've noticed that I'm WAY less bloated and I hadn't even realized I felt like that before.

    Good luck! Keep up the blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Dominos makes a pretty good gluten-free pizza! Just in case you're addicted to pizza like I am;)

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |