Delicious & Nutritious #1

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Because I am a college student and mainly a college aged audience reads this blog I want to share my meals with my readers so that y'all can get an idea of how the Hiatt family eats delicious and nutritious and still manages to stay under our grocery budget for the week!

So I used to really dislike fish until :

1. I discovered Tilapia
2. I bought frozen Tilapia from Sprouts!
3. I forced myself to like it because of the great benefits of eating fish

I usually get the Macadamia Nut Tilapia but they were out this time, so I purchased the Coconut Crusted Tilapia. This is what the packaging normally looks like!

Along with the fish I had some fresh squash and zucchini that I needed to eat before it went bad so I sliced some of that up to eat on the side of the fish.


I just cooked it in some olive oil and at the end I caved in and sprinkled some parmesan for fun!


The fish takes less than 30 minutes to bake. 


The finished product was delicious & nutritious and the spinach salad on the side was divine.


One serving of fish, or one fillet is about 270 calories. If you add that up in addition to the salad and the squash this meal has to be less than 500 calories. Not only is it low calorie but each of these foods are nutrient dense foods which means that they are low in calorie but have lots of nutrients that our body needs! They will also keep your body feeling full for a longer time.

As a college student I don't have time everyday to make really fancy meals so this is a go-to meal for me. It took me less than a minute to turn the oven on and stick the fish in. Then when the fish only had about six minutes left I started cooking the squash. Simple and it is really enjoyable.

The fish does cost 6 dollars per a pack of 2 fillets, but a lot of the time it is on sale for 5 dollars. Also, making this at home is way cheaper than if you were to go out and purchase fish at a restaurant.

Don't forget about the GIVEAWAY that Lily and I are co-hosting. You have until the 15th.

Hope this meal helps give you some ideas!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |